Install Flutter SDK
Steps to Install Flutter SDK
Flutter SDK installation is available for different operating systems including Windows, macOS, Linux, and ChromeOS.
- Click here to select your operating system.
- Check for the system requirements specific to each operating system and make sure that you have all the necessary tools already installed on your system. For instance, for macOS,
gitmust be pre-installed while for Windows, you need to have
git for Windowsand
Windows Powershell 5.0 or aboveinstalled.
Download the installation bundle (install the latest version for stable release ) relevant to your Operating System. In the case of macOS, different bundles are available for Intel and Apple Silicon processors.
Extract the downloaded installation file to the desired directory on your machine. This creates a flutter folder in the directory.
On your Terminal, change the directory to the flutter folder extracted in the previous step.6. To run the flutter commands, the shell you are working in must be set to the directory where your flutter binary file (.exe) is located. For this, you must first set the path:
cd flutterFor example, if our extracted installation is on your Desktop, we can run the following command:
export PATH="$PATH:/[path where Flutter is installed]/flutter/bin"where
PATHon the left to the value of the
PATHspecified on the right.
To verify if the Path has been correctly set, we run an
where the path in the bold is the intended path where we had set our path to.
Using Dart with Flutter
Flutter apps are created using a programming language called
Dart. An object-oriented language with similarity to C language, Dart is used for creating mobile and web applications. With Dart, Flutter apps can be developed quickly and deployed to different platforms.
Note: The Dart SDK comes bundled with Flutter, so if you installed Flutter, it is not required to install Dart separately.
Note: For more information on Dart, click here.
Install Flutter Plugin for Text Editors
Generally, developers can create a Flutter-based app using a combination of the CLI (Command Line Interface) and a text editor. The easier way is to install a plugin within the editor. The plugins for editors like Visual Studio Code, Android Studio, Emacs, and IntelliJ are available for installation. To install the plugin for both Flutter and Dart on VS Code:
- Open VS Code.
- Click View menu, and then click Command Palette.
- On the palette, enter Extensions. The system displays a list of options. Select Extensions: Install Extensions.
- In the Search Extension in Markdown box, enter flutter. The system displays the Flutter plugin. Click install.This installs Flutter along with the Dart plugin.